Tuesday 13 October 2009

Flynndie Reviews - Blog #1: The Rakes, Arctic Monkeys and The Prodigy

Welcome to Blog #1 of Flynndie Reviews!

This is just my small fun corner of the internet where I make attempts to review albums by cool for 15 minutes Indie bands with no real purpose other than whether I like their album or not and if you have similar tastes in music to me, as to whether you may also enjoy them based on my reviews.

So with that intro may I introduce to you Blog #1 of Flynndie reviews, which was actually written back in May 2009. Like I say this was the 1st one I wrote so the reviews are very brief, but I will post all the reviews I have done in the past and hopefully, my writing improves with each one that I post.

Flynndie Reviews - Blog #1: The Rakes, Arctic Monkeys and The Prodigy

Right I've had a chance to listen to some new albums I've purchased recently last week and can now give you my 1000 words or less style reviews below:

The Rakes – Ten New Messages: Not a bad listen, not as instant as the 1st album, ‘Capture/Release’ (which is pretty awesome and would receive an 8/10 ‘grand’ job). There are some decent subtle tunes on it and some very witty lyrics. I think this album will grow on me with more listens, but for now I will give it 7 messages out of 10.

Arctic Monkeys – Favourite Worst Nightmare: Now the Monkeys were a band I didn’t ‘get’ when they released their 1st album, the one with the title ‘this title is so long I can’t be bothered to write it all’, but after watching their performance at Glasto 2008 last year I was well impressed with them and particularly their new songs of this record and fortunately this album does not disappoint!

This record features some mega guitar riffs and lyrics on this one and I’m now think I’m becoming to realise this bands potential considering how young they are. The bastards how can they be this good? Track 4 Balaclava in particular is a mega tune. This is a 9/10 chimpanzees album easily but could rise to 10 with even more listens that’s how much I like it!

Prodigy – Invaders Must Die: Well, well, well, Prodigy have gone back to the old-skool, and this album is so much better for it! Personally my favourite albums of theirs was always the early ones ‘Experience’ and ‘Jilted Generation’, the rave classics, although ‘Fat of the Land’ has some good singles on it, the early rave stuff are what the Prodigy are really all about in my opinion!

This goes back to some big fat tunes, been busting it in my motor with the volume up to 11 and it rocks big style. This record gets 8 Glow Sticks out of 10 but could rise to a 9 with a pair of white gloves as well, again with more listens!

Well this concludes my 1st blog of Flynndie Reviews for now. If anyone else has got anything new worth a bag or worth telling me about simply leave a comment below.

Signing Out,

Flynny

No comments:

Post a Comment